Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes

I am addicted to Starbucks. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is a barista because I am usually getting free drinks, sometimes two a day. And my drink of choice? It is definitely this one.


A caramel macchiato. Milk (I always get soy) with two espresso shots and a huge serving of delicious caramel sauce. I usually get this one iced but it can be enjoyed hot or cold. It is wonderful. I was feeling very inspired to create some sort of Starbucks dessert after visiting the very first Starbucks store in Pike Place Market during a recent trip to Seattle, Washington and I've been missing my barista boyfriend who is currently in Indonesia! I knew I could make something really good based off of my favorite drink. So I came up with these.




Moist espresso coffee cake, topped with creamy caramel frosting. Then I drizzled the cupcakes with a thick homemade caramel sauce. Lastly I topped the cupcakes with a dark chocolate covered espresso bean and a chocolate covered sea salt butterscotch caramel - both purchased at Trader Joe's (my favorite!)



Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes


Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons espresso powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
For the frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
For the caramel sauce:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup half n half
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
*this makes PLENTY of sauce. Feel free to half the recipe but I like to have the extra to use as ice cream topping or for other desserts!

Instructions:
1. Mix espresso powder into brewed coffee and let cool. Preheat oven to 350 F Degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder ad salt.
3. Beat 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar together until fluffy then add the egg.
4. Combine 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla and coffee mixture together. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and alternate between the coffee mixture, ending with the flour. Divide batter evenly into cupcake tins, baking for 17-20 minutes
5. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and boil for two minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add 6 tbsp milk. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Remove and allow to cool for 20-25 minutes. Beat in confectioners sugar until smooth. Add a few drops of milk if frosting gets stiff. Frost cupcakes once cool.
7. Mix brown sugar, half n half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5-7 minutes until it gets thicker. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken. Turn off the heat and and pour sauce into a jar. Keep refrigerated and drizzle over cupcakes when ready to. Garnish cupcakes with dark chocolate espresso beans or other candy if desired!

0 comments:

Post a Comment